Saturday, October 9, 2010

Another Dream.

We are two crabs, basking in the still, deep waters of the ocean, entwined in a cuddle of limbs, shell, and warmth as the current moves peacefully around us. Looking down on us, in this moment, I'm imagining a slow-turning music box twinkling a tune that calms the heart and warms the blood, in all its simplistic beauty. My sleep has graced me, finally, with a pleasant dream.

A sense of pride comes over me as I think of my favorite spot in the ocean. My clumsy claw reaches for yours as I encourage you to rouse from relaxation. Claw in claw, we slowly make our way to shallow water, where a large rock juts from the ocean floor. The sun's rays bathes the top of the rock as it sits just feet from the surface. I look at you and look around us. This is what happi-- I blink and I am alone, human, kneeling on hot sand overlooking a vast savanna. Slow, rhythmic rumbles fill my ears as I take in the massive creature laying en masse before me; a pride of lions napping the fierce sun away.

My heart fumbles and forgets its sole purpose, slipping and skipping, unevenly, within my breast. Where are you? What happened to us? A slow and steady change in the breeze slips me out of my self pity. The rumbling harmony of sleeping lions begin to stumble as, no doubt, their nostrils have sensed my stench; my pores releasing fear induced perspiration, warm blood flowing violently through my veins, giving life to my tender muscles and limbs, my breath becoming more rapid as I watch these furry bodies stir before me.

Two females quickly pounce to their feet and begin circling me, clearly hunting, anticipating a kill. I am done for. I am alone. I slowly turn to face the sea, looking for you, whom I've left below the surface, in peace. I sink to my knees in despair. The waves lick the sand before me in a gentle routine. The water's surface sparkles like a million hidden gems in a lover's eyes-- I am thrown onto my side-- a flock of migrating birds skim the distant surface of the sea, squawking in unison and familiarity as they keep hope for their arrival afar-- a piercing sensation wraps my neck as a swelling pain begins to pulsate. Everything comes to a halt, slowly spinning in place, as I close my eyes with the beauty of the sea still imprinted on my mind.