Sunday, February 26, 2012

Excerpt (end) from 'Tess of the D'Urbervilles'

"Upon the cornice of the tower a tall staff was fixed. Their eyes were riveted on it. A few minutes after the hour had struck something moved slowly up the staff, and extended itself upon the breeze. It was a black flag.

'Justice' was done, and the President of the Immortals had ended his sport with Tess. And the D'Urberville knights slept on in their tombs unknowing. The two speechless gazers bent themselves down to the earth, as if in prayer, and remained thus a long time, absolutely motionless: the flag continued to wave silently. As soon as they had strength they arose, joined hands again, and went on." -Thomas Hardy

Never has a story pained me so, and never has an author conjured in my mind so many beautiful and harrowing images, with such poetic grace and emotion. I stand in awe; completely entranced in this world between cover and binding. I never want to leave, but my heart can't take all the pain.

1 comment:

Jim Macey said...

You're going to love The Return of the Native. You will encounter the mad beauty of Eustacia Vye, a non-existant woman, perhaps, but one I had a crush on when I married your grandmother...