The other week I spent a day with my Dad in Camas, Washington. A subject that we talked about has me thinking: Children. I'm at that point in my life where my hormones and emotions are boiling over and yearning to nurture something. My cat is often hassled with overflowing kisses, hugs, and baby-talk as well as Andrew. I'm sorry! It's natural and I'm a Cancer. I'm doomed.
Anyway, I feel this overwhelming sense of guilt when I think of bringing a child into this world. I think of all the possible dangers and I'm scared to death. I can't live with something so fragile. I'd freak out every minute wondering if its healthy and safe. I'd have a heart attack when my child produces a cough or a sneeze, rushing frantically when he/she gets a cut or a burn.
Being a parent has to be the most challenging experience in the world. So much depends on you. To that child YOU are everything and I can't imagine the rewarding sensation of a child's love. Also, understanding that a child will create their own life; they will not live yours and your responsibility, as a parent, is to make sure that your child gets to that point safely with the proper knowledge to take care of themselves. I will never doom my child to live out my dreams and failures! I know the pain of disappointment and no one should have to deal with that everyday.
Why are people careless about parenting? Why is it not taking seriously by everyone? It's in our whole nature and biology to nurture, protect, teach, feed, and care for our young. Why are some children just objects and tools?
Basically, what brought this spew about was my brief (and gag-worthy) glimpse at a reality show on TLC called "17 Kids and Counting.." What. The. Fuck. I know religion plays a huge role in how painfully odd this family is, but isn't there a point where the human mind simply asks, "what the hell are you doing?" How can two people possibly give eighteen children the proper interaction, attention, love, and respect? Sure, they feel that "every child is a beautiful gift" but they are not objects or "gifts" from a higher being or whatnot. They are forever growing individuals who live and learn.. I am truly disgusted. :O
Monday, December 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
i read the newest bit to the story down below! i love coming to your blog, there's always something different!!
i hope you have a lovely, lovely Christmas and all the best for new years
:)
Merry Christmas!
When Glenn and I were traveling through the state of Wy. we saw a family just like this at a state park I often wonder if it was actually this family you are talking about. Having a blended family of 6+ give or take a number or two. You are right it is hard to give and take equally, I agree they can't parent the right way but then again who does?
Next subject have you read The Host yet, if so is it good? Also I was wondering if I would like the book The Compass (sp) do you think I would?
Merry Christmas to you and Andrew, B
Yes, you had the right book, the golden compass. I will try reading it this sping. Thanks for the advice, Merry Christmas to you, we are spending the evening in the "lounge".B
i complete agree; that is just a ridiculous amount of children.
though, from the sounds of it, you most definitely can handle a child. you sound like you'd be a fantastic mother.
oh, merry christmas, also.
YES
I don't think those children could possibly feel like they have enough attention. That show just weirds me out.
I think you'd be an amazing mom. Having a child is like your heart is walking around outside your body but it opens up the world in a whole new way. When I had Lucy it was like I could understand people as a species, it was mind blowing. The joys are so worth it.
Post a Comment