Monday, December 7, 2009

The beast, the dragon, adored.

The hole in my chest grows as I walk the boulevard lined with Spanish Oak. Life bustles around every corner, in every entryway, on every bench around me. The panic begins to rise in my chest, and I place my hand on my heart to calm it. I duck into the next alleyway and my body falls onto my feet and pavement. A sob erupts from my mouth as I tighten my grip on my chest.

A curious static hums from my right and I look up to see a blur next to me, as if staring at an angel in front of the moon. A blur the size of my body suspended in midair, like dead air, like a window.. Behind the blur life goes on as it does with or without you. I extend my hand as it disappears and sends a ripple through the blur. I'm convinced. I throw my head back to stare at the sun one last time. I expose my vulnerability to everything living and a gasp escapes my mouth. I walk and disappear through the blur in the middle of the alleyway, and it dissipates after me.

A scream erupts from my mouth as I fall from the sky. The air pulls at my cheeks, and throws my hair and limbs in twists all around me. A dragon, with scales made of emerald and jade, catches my fall and carries me on. It's muscles tremble under my legs as the power of flight moves from head to tail. A giggle erupts from my mouth as I throw my hands up to comb the violent breeze above me.


Carry on my stalwart savior!


The world fades below me, like blowing on chalk scrapped onto the pavement. I tighten my hold on the dragon as my heart pumps excitement through my veins. "I'm ready," I say, "for whatever lay ahead."

No comments: